Bijay Kant Dubey
First Poem Writers of Indian English Verse (Inclusive of The Northeast)
Those who have just begun to write
Are also calling themselves poets and poetesses
And this embarrasses us most,
Baffles us most.
Just after writing their first poems in Engish,
People call themselves poets,
How can it be as such?
The first poems have just been written
And they calling themselves poets and poetesses
And the first book on the anvil,
I mean the ghost shaking the embers and the sparks
And the haunted corpse trembling
Like a scarecrow
Atop the building under construction.
First poem writers, writers of English verse
And that too English not, but the Indians
Posing as sahibs in their bungalows with memsahibs
Or pastoral romantics with shepherd mistresses
Calling themselves poets,
Poets not, but great poets.
But in reality are the maniacs,
Nothing to do,
But poetry, poetry, poetry,
What are you doing,
I am writing, writing, will say it.
The rhymers, poetatsters too not,
But the commoners and the non-poets,
Marking the authority absent,
Calling themselves poets in absentia,
The self-proclaimed poets
And the similar with those claiming poets
From the northeast.
Bijay Kant Dubey's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (First Poem Writers of Indian English Verse (Inclusive of The Northeast) by Bijay Kant Dubey )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Death is Nothing at All, Henry Scott Holland
- Matilda Who told Lies, and was Burned to.., Hilaire Belloc
Poem of the Day
- I Dream of Her, Olufayo Ezekiel
- I realized why we get hurt, Tiyani Shadrack Manganya
- That fatal day to all, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Love Note 10, Michael P. McParland
- Secularism in true sense, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Mark o Connor's ballad of a man from sno.., Juwon Daniel
- you need to know: (, Manauwer Raza
- Solitary song, gajanan mishra
- To Sleep I Go, Michael P. McParland
- Beneath The Joy, Margaret Moran