If I fly
then I am off the ground.
If I am off the ground
I might fly too high and spin off into space
where I will perish.
If I don't fly
and stay on the ground
then I lose out on the experience of flying.
If I fly tip-toe but not actually fly
then I don't fly or soar.
and lose the experience of really flying.
If I stay on the ground then my life
will not be what it could be.
I guess flying is worth the risk.
But then this
is a personal choice
and I could fail.
So fear of failure
is my real enemy.
That I have to overcome.
Be prepared to fail as many
times as it takes
but don't give up on flying.
Lonnie Hicks's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Flying by Lonnie Hicks )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- PAINS AND SUFFERINGS آلام و اوجاع, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- What is the love?, Petai Jirakongpipat
- Fair praises, hasmukh amathalal
- On MY Way To The Mailbox, Kyle Schlicher
- Belinda, Juan Olivarez
- My Life Will Go On, Kyle Schlicher
- Amaano (Somali), sallam yassin
- Haiku: Another Physics Haiku, Brian Johnston
- Windermere, Paul Gerard Reed
- Vijay Vishal As An Indian English Poet, Bijay Kant Dubey