For Joan Cotter
She was in her late teens some twenty years ago
Joan the eldest of a family of girls of Mary and Paddy Joe
Now married with young children and time keeps ticking on
On looking back the Seasons where have those years to gone?
Back then she was Joan Cotter the pride of Millstreet Town
The Rose of the Macroom Road with long hair of blondish brown
In the full bloom of her beauty yet untainted by conceit
One of the nicest people in the Parish of Millstreet.
In leafy groves and hedgerows when the nesting birds did sing
She often walked with her mother on the Killarney road to Tubrid in the Spring
On mild and balmy evenings when the wildflowers were in bloom
From their home by the Grotto on the roadway to Macroom.
Can't believe it's been twenty years but time does not stand still
And the changes have been happening in the Town by Clara Hill
The Joan Cotter then now Saunders a mother of today
And father time as ever he ticks and ticks away.
But we have got our memories and good memories we retain
And i fancy i see her with her mother on the Killarney road again
Walking to the Holy Well of Tubrid for to do their rounds and pray
When the hawthorns looked resplendent in their white blossoms of the May.
Francis Duggan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (For Joan Cotter by Francis Duggan )
Did you read them?
- Consoling Arms, Gerry Legister
- islamic state, douglas scotney
- Blame not the stars, gajanan mishra
- Emptyness, advija hrustic
- Lay Me Down, Myrtle Thomas
- Dessert Deluge ..... [ 'just' DESSERTS,.., Bri Edwards
- Standard asset, gajanan mishra
- AnyThing In ReTurn, Kewayne Wadley
- If all we know is love, Mark Heathcote
- Remove Yourself From Bitterness, Ronell Warren Alman
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 January 1832 – 14 January 1898)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)