For You, Etta
How the couch swells, then sinks,
As if its cushions meaningfully form to bring your body
Still closer to mine.
Twelve years float through our conversation.
Stray notes air from the web radio,
Now and then punctuating our sentences.
Why ask about our history?
What vanity possesses you to make sense of the world,
And try to figure God's will?
We met, we loved, what time before,
Is it dejavu, do we relive a previous encounter?
And that place where I first saw you,
Do we return to it,
And gain another chance to do life over?
Or have we hope to live hereafter?
Shall we be rejoined,
And hand-in-hand walk the night
Forever young and through those fields
On the other side of the river?
The streaming-music stops.
You lie before me and seem no more tangible
Than a thought, a dream within a dream,
Emerging within an instant then vanishing without a trace.
I just hold on, and try to grasp you.
I hear the whisper of your breath, its sound,
Though all the other voices cease, your voice remains.
STANLEY PACION's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (For You, Etta by STANLEY PACION )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 April 1918 – 27 February 2002)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(2 June 1840 – 11 January 1928)
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Death is Nothing at All, Henry Scott Holland
- A Little While, Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- I Knew a Woman, Theodore Roethke
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
Poem of the Day
- The Man, Victor Kretzie
- Again, Joseph Archer
- the business of cuisine, oskar hansen
- For You And I, Edward Kofi Louis
- Crucifixion of th' Soul..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Beware Of Mankind, Edward Kofi Louis
- Bigtha, Edward Kofi Louis
- Love Me Girl, Joseph Archer
- One Christmas Eve From The North..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Neryah, Edward Kofi Louis