Philip Emmanuel Penaflor
"So why do people prefer to live a lie and pretend that they are
just fine when in fact they are hurting deep inside? " I asked pain.
"Illusion is the first of all pleasures", she said quoting Voltaire.
"It is easier to pretend, for any consequence of pain is superficial
while the consequences of truth are real and its pain stings deep."
"When people begin to dwell on illusions, there is no limit to what
they can become as there is no barrier to their fantasies; and when
they do get back to reality it does not hurt them too much because
they knew from the very beginning that everything was not real".
"And in this cruel world illusion is a form of escape, people must
learn to survive somehow, and people survive by living a life of lie! "
"But isn't it that the world is cruel because of the lies we created? "
again I asked. "Exactly", she said. "Truth is kinder because it liberates
you of what you are not, and freedom enables you to walk naked
without fear of losing yourself for there is nothing to lose anymore."
Philip Emmanuel Penaflor's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Freedom by Philip Emmanuel Penaflor )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Mir Taqi Mir
(1723 - 1810)
(1924 - 2000)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- A Late Walk, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Touch Downs, Saiom Shriver
- Bethlehem, Saiom Shriver
- Beloved Brand, Pranab K. Chakraborty
- The Shadow, Benjamin Michael Clark
- Under The Moonlit Nights, I See You, See.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- have you seen my hand?, Mandolyn ...
- My Inspiration Are You, The Day I Saw You, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Azar, Nassy Fesharaki
- Ohio State, Saiom Shriver
- crowding around the crumbs you leave, Mandolyn ...