Give Me a Lass with a Lump of Land
1 Gi'e me a lass with a lump of land,
2 And we for life shall gang thegither;
3 Tho' daft or wise I'll never demand,
4 Or black or fair it maks na whether.
5 I'm aff with wit, and beauty will fade,
6 And blood alane is no worth a shilling;
7 But she that's rich her market's made,
8 For ilka charm about her is killing.
9 Gi'e me a lass with a lump of land,
10 And in my bosom I'll hug my treasure;
11 Gin I had anes her gear in my hand,
12 Should love turn dowf, it will find pleasure.
13 Laugh on wha likes, but there's my hand,
14 I hate with poortith, tho' bonny, to meddle;
15 Unless they bring cash or a lump of land,
16 They'se never get me to dance to their fiddle.
17 There's meikle good love in bands and bags,
18 And siller and gowd's a sweet complexion;
19 But beauty, and wit, and virtue in rags,
20 Have tint the art of gaining affection.
21 Love tips his arrows with woods and parks,
22 And castles, and riggs, and moors, and meadows;
23 And naithing can catch our modern sparks,
24 But well-tocher'd lasses or jointur'd widows.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Give Me a Lass with a Lump of Land by Allan Ramsay )
- Haiku- A coffin, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- ANGEL MY NIECE, Suzanna Christina Chevalier
- Magnetizer, Saiom Shriver
- ANDY AT STUDIO 205, Suzanna Christina Chevalier
- Lizzie Borden (Limerick), Dorian Petersen Potter
- ANDERSON'S HOME, Suzanna Christina Chevalier
- ALLS PEOPLE DAY, Suzanna Christina Chevalier
- ALIAS POEM, Suzanna Christina Chevalier
- AIRPORT INSPECTION, Suzanna Christina Chevalier
- Where Once Upon A Morn So Dreary, Noah Body
Poem of the Day
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(22 March 1941 -)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)