I told you I could not do this again.
You swore with every promise,
every broken-hearted smile
and every star in your eyes
that I never would have to feel this pain
because of you.
I told you of the demons I carried with me.
I told you of all the times I couldn't bear to be,
didn't want to see
for one more moment, and you
came in like lightning
and lit up my sky. I thought I
saw shadows of the future
and I thought that future
I feel like I can't breathe.
I dream of drowning every night.
I feel lost at sea, pulled
by a wayward tide.
I am gasping for air
as my lungs fill with water.
The sky fades to black.
With every breath I live,
with every breath I die.
This is the last time
I can bear to say goodbye.
Live your life the way
you want to.
Give up on everything
you could have been,
everything you were to me.
Give up the promises, and
give up the act.
Don't pretend I mattered to you.
You can carry on through life
pantomiming your way
and hoping nobody notices.
I feel like an idiot
for ever trusting you with my soul.
We made quite a side-show
So this is me,
tearing you out of my life,
taking razor wire to every memory
This is me scaling the
barbed wire fence
and escaping from the prison I am trapped in,
even though I know
guards with guns wait on the other side.
This is me
reclaiming my life
in order to be able to give up.
It's all the same in the end.
You're gone anyway.
Elizabeth Grace's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Giving Up by Elizabeth Grace )
- சூரிய ஒளி தன் அபூர்வ கிரணங்களோடு விரைந்த.., Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- Awe - Inspiring Awareness, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Remarkable Photograph, Frank Avon
- White Buffalo Annunciation, mary douglas
- Unrest Soul: Scaffolding Divergence, Onyekachukwu Vincent Onyeche
- I Was There, David Lacey
- GRACE, Itsoghole O Solomon
- Clock Moments, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- I Promise You, Lilly Emery
- Rock my boat, george albot
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- At Last She Comes, Robert Louis Stevenson
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
- Heather Burns
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)