Glen Forbes in the high country ten kilometres from the sea
A place of natural beauty and of marvellous scenery
With houses in the valley and brown hills all around
Amongst the high country of South Gippsland such beauty to be found.
In Glen Forbes after daybreak amongst the blackwood trees
The magpies notes are carrying in the freshening morning breeze
A place free of pollution no black smog in the sky
And larks above the brown hills are carolling as they fly.
Through Glen Forbes in South Gippsland the narrow roads wind up and down
Eighty kilometres from the suburbs and twenty from Wonthaggi town
A twenty minute car drive at most from the ocean shore
And the only sign of commerce there is the one small General Store.
Across the hills of Glen Forbes the healthy sea winds blow
It would be nice to live there and Nature's peace to know
And though I am just a visitor I will carry with me
The beauty of old Glen Forbes and it's marvellous scenery.
Francis Duggan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Glen Forbes by Francis Duggan )
- Text time, george albot
- Deep Friendship, Sandra Feldman
- The Mighty Tumbler, Samya Bose
- puppy made of sand, lee fones
- Alive And With Medals, Clive Blake
- pull over for lightening, let's touch a .., Mandolyn ...
- ShakingThe Finger Tip, Is It Poetry
- Vent Of A Laden Heart, Lungelo Ndzimande
- the second stanza is why you bought my b.., Mandolyn ...
- Te Acordaras De Mi, Adriana Avila
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(22 August 1893 - 7 June 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)