God For A Second
Life is unfair,
life is cruel!
but in the morning of time, life was sweet and dear;
man engaged God in a duel,
then came the dictionary of death,
and God His sword will not sheath.
Sure, it’s true they –Eve and Adam –failed the test;
It should have been a fail-safe test.
Dear God, can You reverse your pronouncements:
“…to dust you shall return;
you shall till the soil to eat,
you shall labour in birth, …”
No, not because of life’s challenges,
this life is transient;
no, not because I'm poor,
I can become rich tomorrow;
no, not because I haven’t a soul mate,
celibate life is not bad, or I get one later;
no, not because of insecurity,
who is really safe anyway?
no, not because I lack shelter,
I may own estates tomorrow;
no, not because I’m hungry,
who in life is truly full?
no, not because I have no clothes,
naked I come; so shall I depart;
no, not because I don’t have wealth,
the rich are not free from worries and troubles;
no, not because I’m blind,
that doesn’t stop me from living;
no, not because I’m deaf and dumb,
non-verbal communication is not dead;
no, not because I have no child,
I can adopt or foster one;
no, not because I’m an illiterate,
literacy does not guarantee good life.
But because of something I’m not certain about...
I mean, I mean, I mean, ..
dear God, I mean life after death!
What happens to the soul
when it departs the clay fetter?
shall it endlessly be in abject misery
or shall it enjoy eternal perfect bliss?
Dear God, see the hopeless ‘blood beast’,
the ancient serpent, making mockery of me.
Grant me just this one request;
not for eternity,
but for a second.I mean a second!
I shall not destroy poverty or pain;
I shall not stop death or doom,
I shall not oppress or suppress,
I shall not alter creation or mend a nation,
I shall not end existence or cause extinction.
Don’t think of it God,
Please, don’t! I shall not do it:
I shall not overthrow You.
This is the only thing I shall do:
I shall destroy Lucifer –evil!
just make me God for a second.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (God For A Second by James Bako )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
Poem of the Day
- Reign of Fire, Bhaskar Rabha
- I've got a mind full of you, Bull Hawking
- Culp's Hill, John F. McCullagh
- A Rockstar Came Travelling, Richard Whiting
- Re: Your Poetic License Renewal Applicat.., John F. McCullagh
- Direct Departure, Tayyab Ijaz
- Merry Merry Christmas, Dimitri Jagodinski
- Milk toast, Cee Bea
- We are all, Swrji Basumatary
- Kada Poem I, Nicholas Crowson