Good News- Bad News
Bad news-I am driving along and a car is bearing down me from the rear.
It keeps coming.
Bad news-The car hits my little car at 60 miles an hour-bam!
Good news-I keep control of the car for a second or two
then the car begins to skid.
Bad news-The car skids, swerves and overturns, flipping, flipping.
The world outside the wind shield revolves upside down.
Bad news-Things go blank and I see water coming into the car;
I had landed in the river.
Good news-I am sinking but not yet under water.
Bad news- The water starts to come in faster and faster.
Bad news- The water keeps coming in the car. It is sinking.
It is over my head.
I am drowning.
Bad news- I hold my breath for 30 seconds and decide that I will die here.
I regret that it has to be in the mud and silt of the river. Undignified. I take a deep breath ready to go.
Good news, The car suddenly bobs to the surface from an air bubble
inside just as I take that breath.
Bad news-I look around and notice that the car is sinking again
this time even faster.
Bad news- I look around to try to open a door. But the door won't open.
Good news- I hear voices above. Someone saw me go in.
Bad news- The water is rising so fast I am sure they won't get me in time.
Bad news- I bang on the wind shield but it does not break
Good news- Someone from the outside breaks the wind shield and asks
if I can get out.
Bad news- I drag myself out over the cut glass-
blood in the water, gasoline and mud.,
Good news-Outside, there are men with a floating flat board and they float me to the shore.
Bad news-They ask me who is President and what is today's date.
And they are my rescuers, I think, and don't know this stuff?
Good news- The helicopter air-lifts me to the hospital with broken ribs, eye
smashed, blood everywhere.
Good news- I recover and can't get a cigarette and thereafter quit for good
as a way of thanking God that I lived.
Bad news- Broken ribs lead to pleurisy and later pneumonia.
Good news- I recover.
Good news-People at work give me a snorkel for my birthday; lol.
Lonnie Hicks's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Good News- Bad News by Lonnie Hicks )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Fairy Song, William Shakespeare
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- you need to know: (, Manauwer Raza
- Solitary song, gajanan mishra
- To Sleep I Go, Michael P. McParland
- Beneath The Joy, Margaret Moran
- This funny thing called Snow, Angell Afinowi
- One Last Chance, Abby Bilan
- Love Note 9, Michael P. McParland
- Lamentation of the Weak, Abby Bilan
- Love so unkempt..., Kenneth Maswabi
- morning conversation, oskar hansen