Greying men's boyhood dreams
I went down to the local show
Where I could smell the steam
Of antique engines & tractors
And greying men's boyhood dreams.
Rows of old John Deere's
Among the oiled steel maze
Rows of competing engines
Remind them of glory days.
The sight of white oil helping
The engines lubricate well
Bring out hidden feelings
That now come out of their shell.
These engines bring them comfort
Of good feelings from the past
A feeling of past securities
That never seemed to last.
In a world of constant change
You could see it in their eyes
These old engines stay the same
Certainty is their cry.
What do these men teach me
How did they end up like this
My future is not in my past
And the past was not always bliss.
"Roll up Roll up, tickets here
Come back in time & see our gear
Come & feel your faces glow
At the antique engine show."
Peter Hall's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Greying men's boyhood dreams by Peter Hall )
- uncomfortable, maharshi trivedi
- Mexican Food With Jesus, Mr. Nobody
- Sonnet of Pain, Sierra Staten
- Particle Of Breath, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- थिरिँ बिरिँ x5, Ronjoy Brahma
- Come Come, Tango Tango
- God Teaches Geology (M-F), Mr. Nobody
- I am Running Faster, Akhtar Jawad
- (समनि नायथाय) गुफुर उखुन्दैनि खुवाया, Ronjoy Brahma
- Alien Encounter, Robert Eckstein
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns