Headline: Poet Arrested for Killing his Muse
He knew something had to be done
when he was fired for submitting
the financial report to his boss
in rhyming couplets.
It has to be that damned Erato,
or her tawdry side-kick, Thalia.
He never liked that name Erato:
it made him think of errors.
Well, rat poison won't work,
they don't eat.
A shotgun will miss the mark;
how about a cannon
or a dirty bomb?
Finally he thought he had found
the perfect weapon:
a deluxe, industrial-sized fly-swatter.
When She flutters annoyingly around
his PC while he's composing resumes,
he makes his move: Splat!
But muses are eternal.
She rises up like the Phoenix
and begins to quote Sylvia Plath's
Dying is an art
I do it exceptionally well....'**
**From 'Lady Lazarus, ' Sylvia Plath, Vintage Book of Contemporary Poetry.
Sonny Rainshine's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Headline: Poet Arrested for Killing his Muse by Sonny Rainshine )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- Darkness of the Day, Pintu Mahakul
- A cigar aficionado, Cyndi K. Encinares Gacosta
- The City, Cyndi K. Encinares Gacosta
- Heartless, Cyndi K. Encinares Gacosta
- A Certain Beauty, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Brel2, David McLansky
- Untouched, Pradip Chattopadhyay
- Being Enriched, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- If we meet again, Mellinda Aimee Jajalla
- Wondering How To Find Conclusions, RoseAnn V. Shawiak