I am a soldier, though fallen, I stand,
Soaring the sky, marching the land.
I watch over my family where danger awaits,
I've set up my post at the big golden gates.
Here with my comrades who have long since passed on
Out of the darkness, into new dawn.
Here with past enemies I have fought through the night,
Living in peace in a unreal light.
For the first time in a long time, I don't feel fear.
Though away from my family, no loneliness is near.
Finally at rest where my good father lives,
Here in the majesty his great presence gives.
As for my loved ones who still live below:
I do still love you, I need you to know.
I may be gone from the Earth, but not gone from mind.
I live in your memory, I have all this time.
Farewell my sweet loved ones, until we meet up once more,
I will still love you as I did before.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
This poem came seemingly out of nowhere on the 13th of July,2010; the beginning line came into my head and everything sort of went on from there. Little did I know that this little poem of mine would mean worlds more just 3 months later.
In October of 2010 I got an email from my cousin asking if she could borrow this poem for one of her good friends who just lost his cousin, Joe, to war just a week before and I gave her my consent. The poem was read at Joe's service, and I am told it touched everyone.
The poem became something special to their family and, though I never met Joe, his family became something special to me. It was only a week after the service that I realized my poem had been written exactly 3 months before Joe passed away; and ever since then, the poem is known as Joe's, the 'Heaven Soldier.'
Comments about this poem (Heaven Soldier by Mariah Gregory )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
Poem of the Day
- Best Test, John Shea
- peace in the battle field..., veeraiyah subbulakshmi
- Refueling My Soul, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- God I'll Bake For You, Mr. Nobody
- Exploitation, Akhtar Jawad
- Kill not, kill not, gajanan mishra
- Too filmy, hasmukh amathalal
- What is life we know not, gajanan mishra
- Liberties, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Somebody is Shooting Our Children, Hebert Logerie