She got a lot done by doing so little;
She said, 'I love you,' and left the rest to him.
She fed him, nursed him, and slaved for him;
She was no feminist but, when the time came, she left him.
He wandered, beast-like, ash-smeared, covered with hides,
Until she reclaimed him and made him a human being.
As the moth entered, the flame shone even more brightly;
He realized that such deaths don't come so easily.
He boasted, blustered, threatened to leave her forever;
Instead, he fell unconscious until her touch revived him.
During the day she was flamboyant, bold, quick;
But at night she pleaded, darling please turn out the lights.
When she went to Kathmandu, he went to Kanyakumari
Only to discover that the continent wasn't large enough to divide them.
When the veil dropped, the incense became camphor, not musk;
Chastened, he prayed, O Mother, please forgive my profanities.
He thought he could teach her a lesson or two in celibacy
But he found a child asleep beside him who'd forgotten her sex completely.
After years of abnegation, recovering his wits he looked at her appealingly
But she wasn't a switch to be turned on or off at will.
Obsessed with performance he wished to go on and on;
Relax, she said, this isn't 'publish or perish.'
Insecure to the extreme, he tried to steal her friends
Until, one by one his friends said that they preferred her to him.
He proposed to a hundred women and became a laughing stock;
When she accepted him, they weren't more astonished than him.
Our love is so ordinary, he thought, looking at their lives;
But she never complained: he lacked imagination, not she.
[From The Serene Flame]
Makarand Paranjape's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Her Strategy by Makarand Paranjape )
- roj us dariya kinare....., sanjay kumar maurya
- life, Soul Watcher
- Poem for You, David Shapiro
- tumhara har bharam tut...., sanjay kumar maurya
- Beyond Season, Mist or Mystery, Ananta Madhavan
- The Weight of the World, Katinka Havermans
- I am a Lover without a Love, Md. Ziaul Haque
- I, Katinka Havermans
- Foolligent [Fool + Intelligent], Md. Ziaul Haque
- My Hope, Md. Ziaul Haque
Poem of the Day
- November, Thomas Hood
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Where The Mind Is Without Fear, Rabindranath Tagore
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)