Holding the Future in My Hands
In a dream, I saw a vision, most spectacular,
A woman rising up from amongst the crowd...
They were weaving baskets of congratulations,
Clucking their tongues, filling their morning
With the sunshine of her accomplishments.
There stood this woman, one from their own tribe,
Stood she tall, elegant, against tradition’s tide~
Braved she the condemnation of her sex
Drove she her ambitions, tasted success~
The path newly carved out from age of time.
At dawn, these mornings, I rise, excited
like thunder. I speak to no one, suddenly
Flowers surface as from torrential storms
Onto the desert of my once parched life
With the women at the market, I share.
No longer do I need dreams nor visions.
I am woman. I rise from the crowd and
Gather baskets woven with compliments.
With praise I sing songs that inspire their days,
And pray their dreams may sing with confidence.
Jackie Allen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Holding the Future in My Hands by Jackie Allen )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Love, Sarah Flower Adams
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Touched by an Angel, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- Resolutions, Gordon Ayisi
- Bird Protectors, Saiom Shriver
- the spoken, oskar hansen
- The may, Albert Basumatary
- where gloves meet skin, Mandolyn ...
- THE LAW, glen pugh
- A Butterfly Now, Kyle Schlicher
- To My Friend, A Sonnet, Luis Estable
- My Assignment.(limerick), BADMUS JUBRIL
- I Wait For You, Kyle Schlicher