Dirty hands and a coffee can full of worms,
waiting for a ride.
Two Cokes, a ham sandwich, a ziplock half full of potato chips,
enough for days.
Slow motion of a farm truck, forced to start in second because
first is too low, open wholes on the floor boards,
silence between men.
Cold engines on hot summer afternoons
resting in the shade by the dock.
The first rainbows I remember pushed out around
We move by old tires and duck blinds,
motor past sunken Christmas trees and riprap,
old milk jug string lines with crawdad bait, half floating beer cans,
snagged bobbers with line curled up around them,
all the while the prop kicking up the mud.
Then there is open water.
The lillypads, the drowned bobbers,
past Christmases disappear into a wide channel.
Still silence between men as anchors are thrown,
lines cast, tackle surveyed.
The boat moves with the current as the anchors drag for their grip.
Sun on my arms and face, the silent approval of the men I am with,
my eyes watching the line steadily bowing into the water. As the wind
changes direction across the river, so do I.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Home by Jake Morrow )
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
Poem of the Day
- Greeting Cards, Sara Fielder
- The Lorry From The North, Tony Adah
- Father's Admonition, Tony Adah
- Those who lose, Luv Artem
- The Making of Me: Tune Me Up, Niealie Petit
- Show Your Love, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Time Is Of Love, Naveed Akram
- The Wings Of Time, Noah Body
- Passing By The Pond, Tony Adah
- Ode to Now, David Whalen