Dirty hands and a coffee can full of worms,
waiting for a ride.
Two Cokes, a ham sandwich, a ziplock half full of potato chips,
enough for days.
Slow motion of a farm truck, forced to start in second because
first is too low, open wholes on the floor boards,
silence between men.
Cold engines on hot summer afternoons
resting in the shade by the dock.
The first rainbows I remember pushed out around
We move by old tires and duck blinds,
motor past sunken Christmas trees and riprap,
old milk jug string lines with crawdad bait, half floating beer cans,
snagged bobbers with line curled up around them,
all the while the prop kicking up the mud.
Then there is open water.
The lillypads, the drowned bobbers,
past Christmases disappear into a wide channel.
Still silence between men as anchors are thrown,
lines cast, tackle surveyed.
The boat moves with the current as the anchors drag for their grip.
Sun on my arms and face, the silent approval of the men I am with,
my eyes watching the line steadily bowing into the water. As the wind
changes direction across the river, so do I.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Home by Jake Morrow )
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Federico García Lorca
(5 June 1898 – 19 August 1936)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(18 June 1945)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- Lonely Road, Alexander Onoja
- Happy Birthday Lord, Ron Baratono
- I Truly Do, Michael P. McParland
- I Still Love You, Michael P. McParland
- I Pray For You, Michael P. McParland
- Pangako, Jesus James Llorico
- I Only Have Eyes, Michael P. McParland
- Jessica Dances, Eleanor Farjeon
- I Need Your Beauty, Michael P. McParland
- I Need You (More Than You Know), Michael P. McParland