Norah M. Holland
Home Thoughts from Abroad
April in England–daffodils are growing
By every wayside, golden, tall and fair;
April–and all the little winds are blowing
The scents of springtime through the sunny air.
April in England–God, that we were there!
April in England–and her sons are lying
On these red fields, and dreaming of her shore;
April–we hear the thrushes' songs replying
Each unto each, above the cannons' roar;
April in England–shall we see it more?
April in England–there's the cuckoo calling
Down in her meadows where the cowslip gleams;
April–and little showers are softly falling,
Dimpling the surface of her babbling streams;
April in England–how the shrapnel screams!
April in England–blood and dust and smother,
Screaming of horses, men in agony.
April–full many of thy sons, O Mother,
Never again those dewy dawns shall see.
April in England–God, keep England free!
Norah M. Holland's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Home Thoughts from Abroad by Norah M. Holland )
- Run, run, run and running, gajanan mishra
- Run, run, run, gajanan mishra
- What About Tomorrow, Claude H Oliver II
- My Time, Claude H Oliver II
- The ball, gajanan mishra
- Thousand Lullabies, Eleonor Santiago
- Highest Sky, Eleonor Santiago
- Paradise Rhyme, Eleonor Santiago
- To the Depths, Eleonor Santiago
- Angels on t he Shoulder, Liilia Talts Morrison
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(15 September 1889 – 22 May 1948)