Hong Kong - The Pearl Of The Orient For Ever Prospers
From a little fishing village on a small island
at the mouth of the Pearl River,
up sprang a little trading post,
now developed into an international port.
proudly and prestigiously known as The Pearl Of The Orient,
the Gateway to the Cathay mainland.
While this prestigious port glitters at night
in her illuminating lights, so spectacular and bright,
her Fragrant Harbour* prospers
and shines like a star twinkling in a dark night, so clear and bright.
But this land of glamour and pride has now caught under political lime light.
The "Crown Pearl," so precious though,
will soon be returned to her mother shell,
as soon as the hour, merrily and clearly, strikes past mid-night,
the final hour in '97 mid-year.
for the whole world to hear!
Nevertheless, "The Pearl Of The Orient" continues to glitter and shine
with even greater pride
and the "Fragrant Harbour" continues to prosper for ever
together with her mother land and the world far and wide! * Hong Kong literally means "Fragrant Harbour" in Chinese.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Hong Kong - The Pearl Of The Orient For Ever Prospers by Yukwor Lee )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(18 September 1906 - 18 September 1995)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Believe In Yourself, Ronell Warren Alman
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Merry Christmas My Love, Michael P. McParland
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- "க்ரிஸ்து" என்ற ஒரு ஜோதி!, Subbaraman N V
- PIOUS WELCOME TO TWENTY FIFTEEN*, Subbaraman N V
- Pschology 101 (I), Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- A Dancer's Life, Donald Justice
- What Christmas for Them..........?, Jayatissa Liyanage
- I Know You Are There, Orlando Belo
- Dior-Ets, The Body Mass of Death..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Glimpsing Silverstein's Truth, Merton Lee
- A Christmas Wish of A Lifetime..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Unseen, Self-Empathizing Mirrors, Merton Lee