Hook, Line, And Sinker
I'm in the fishing tackle shop,
And tempting thoughts just will not stop,
I'm like a little kid of three,
In a sweetie shop where all's for me!
I already own enough rods and reels,
But inside this place it really feels,
Like I can't just play at look see,
I'm compelled to take things home with me.
Why is it that I feel this way?
I go to other types of shops every day,
And I never feel such an urge to buy,
Please can any kind person tell me why?
That every time I come in here,
I want to buy all manner of gear,
Even stuff I know I'll never use,
It is so hard to just peruse.
Without picking up a lure or three,
They're for catching fish, but they catch me,
More often than any bass or cod,
And look at this reel, and this latest rod!
Do I need either? Not at all,
It'll eventually drive me up the wall.
This madness, it just has to stop,
Or I'll have to open my own tackle shop!
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Hook, Line, And Sinker by Tom Higgins )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Death is Nothing at All, Henry Scott Holland
- Matilda Who told Lies, and was Burned to.., Hilaire Belloc
- The song of a bird - a translation of a .., Ravikumar C.P.
Poem of the Day
- Rescued, Ima Ryma
- Temptation of Xuanwu Lake, Luo Zhihai
- Ghazal: In Silence, Mimi Khalvati
- Awaiting for March, Rimni chakravarty
- Of Snowdrape On Winterscape..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Made Electric By The Moon, Is It Poetry
- Dawn, Rinzen Norbu
- Season of Laziness, Rimni chakravarty
- There's no tree that won't ever bend, Tanya K.Tuomi
- Dragon is just sleeping, Tanya K.Tuomi