How long Will This Bullshit Go On? An Ode to Richard Pryor
Richard was a vessel, an artist that was black,
In a sea of white suppression, that he carried on his deck, …
He made us laugh so hard that we were all reduced to tears,
His message helped us overcome our anger and our fears.
Rich became a voice that we deep down did all desire;
Fearlessly he broached topics that set our souls on fire.
From his first appearance on TV, to his albums and his roles, ..
He steadfastly endured and made the truth part of his goals.
Although his life was mired in addiction and excess,
His heart was filled with love that he did openly express.
His legacy lives on in all our hearts and memories,
Because he knew that racism was not a joke, but a disease.
(April 10,2007–Stop & Think Poetry®)
Steven Taylor's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (How long Will This Bullshit Go On? An Ode to Richard Pryor by Steven Taylor )
- Hiding In The Open In Her Room, Is It Poetry
- All Hallows Eve, David Lewis Paget
- The Devil Twists God's Words & Desires., Tom Zart
- Naturality, michael walkerjohn
- time, lee fones
- I Saw You Today, Raven McCall
- 'First Step', michael walkerjohn
- conkers, lee fones
- Big Bang Memory, Kim Barney
- Sum of Life, michael walkerjohn
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fern Hill, Dylan Thomas
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- If I Knew Someone Cared, Nicole Rawls
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- CHERYL winter
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)