Robert Edgar Burns
There I was in my cowboy boots
Just a leaning up against that car,
A nineteen fifty one Hudson Hornet,
A former winning Indy car!
Metallic blue with silver flakes,
Two carbs underneath her hood.
I won’t forget that my very first car,
With the girl there looked mighty good.
Heads would turn all over town
Whenever I’d go driving by.
Especially when I was gassing up,
A quarter per gallon seemed especially high!
One day at the Little General,
A popular convenience store,
I went inside for peanuts and pop
But forgot to shut my door.
A man was leaning inside my car
When I exited that establishment.
I imagined he liked the interior,
And the dashboard ornaments.
He stood upright and winked at me,
Telling me I had a beauty there.
I thanked him with a prideful smile,
And said “Would you like to see the spare? ”
“I’m not speaking about your trunk
You silly little teenage boy.”
“It’s that angel in your front seat,
She’s better than your four wheeled toy! ”
After forty one years I miss that car
More than one story could ever tell.
But that angel from my car seat,
Still has me in her loving spell.
Robert Edgar Burns's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Hudson Hornet by Robert Edgar Burns )
- What A Wondrous Thing, Joshua Chuhran
- Falling Doves, Joshua Chuhran
- The Simple Life, Nate Morris
- To touch a star is to be touch by the st.., Raymond Sawyer
- A Prayer For Self Identity, Maurice Harris
- throwing sticks at the stars, Mandolyn ...
- For the Love of Poetry, Sandra Feldman
- The stars that whisper the name Star Buc.., Raymond Sawyer
- The Universe Of True Love, Poetic Lilly Emery
- A Halloween Haiku, Thomas Koron
Poem of the Day
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Bored, Margaret Atwood
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Being With You, Heather Burns
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)