Robert Edgar Burns
There I was in my cowboy boots
Just a leaning up against that car,
A nineteen fifty one Hudson Hornet,
A former winning Indy car!
Metallic blue with silver flakes,
Two carbs underneath her hood.
I won’t forget that my very first car,
With the girl there looked mighty good.
Heads would turn all over town
Whenever I’d go driving by.
Especially when I was gassing up,
A quarter per gallon seemed especially high!
One day at the Little General,
A popular convenience store,
I went inside for peanuts and pop
But forgot to shut my door.
A man was leaning inside my car
When I exited that establishment.
I imagined he liked the interior,
And the dashboard ornaments.
He stood upright and winked at me,
Telling me I had a beauty there.
I thanked him with a prideful smile,
And said “Would you like to see the spare? ”
“I’m not speaking about your trunk
You silly little teenage boy.”
“It’s that angel in your front seat,
She’s better than your four wheeled toy! ”
After forty one years I miss that car
More than one story could ever tell.
But that angel from my car seat,
Still has me in her loving spell.
Robert Edgar Burns's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Hudson Hornet by Robert Edgar Burns )
- 강남오피 >>(밤의전쟁) << BAMWAR3.COM, sarah wight1
- Another Day With You, Joseph Narusiewicz
- Waiting for winter., David Lessard
- That Was Then..., David Lewis Paget
- There Are So Many Things..., Dr John Celes
- For Alex in Winter, Neal Beightol
- Last Words, Josilinia Plyman
- Bogus Are Your Deeds, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- An Unfortunate Death, Kim Barney
- in time, Cee Bea
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Ballad of Death, Algernon Charles Swinburne
- Aphrodisiac, Sheldon Allan Silverstein
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)