Cowboy Poems - Poems For Cowboy
Poems about cowboy. You can read the best cowboy poems. Browse through all cowboy poems.
The Streets of Laredo - Poem by Francis Henry Maynard
As I rode down by Tom Sherman's bar-room,
Tom Sherman's bar-room so early one day,
There I espied a handsome young ranger
All wrapped in white linen, as cold as the clay.
'I see by your outfit that you are a ranger,'
The words that he said as I went riding by,
'Come sit down beside me, and hear my sad story,
I'm shot through the breast and I know I must die.
Then muffle the drums and play the dead marches;
Play the dead marches as I'm carried along;
Take me to the church-yard and lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young ranger and I know I've done wrong.
'Go bear a message to my grey-haired mother
Go break the news to gently to my sister so dear,
But never a word of this place do you mention,
As they gather around you my story to hear.
Then there is another as dear as a sister,
Who will bitterly weep when she knows I am gone,
But another more worthy may win her affection,
For I'm a young ranger—I know I've done wrong.'
'Once in my saddle I used to be dashing;
Once in my saddle, I used to be brave;
But I first took to gambling, from that to drinking,
And now in my prime, I must go to my grave.
Go gather around you a crowd of gay rangers,
Go tell them the tale of their comrade's sad fate,
Tell each and all to take timely warning,
And leave their wild ways before it's too late.'
'Go, now, and bring me a cup of cold water,
To bathe my flushed temples,' the poor fellow said.
But ere I returned, the spirit had left him,
Had gone to is Giver—the ranger was dead.
So we muffled the drums and played the dead marches,
We bitterly wept as we bore him along,
For we all loved the ranger, so brave and so handsome,
We all loved our comrade, although he'd done wrong.
Comments about The Streets of Laredo by Francis Henry Maynard
Poems About Cowboy
- 1. The Streets of Laredo , Francis Henry Maynard
- 2. The Western Home , Brewster Martin Higley VI
- 3. The Pearl Of Them All , William Henry Ogilvie
- 4. Cicely , Francis Bret Harte
- 5. Backdropp Addresses Cowboy , Margaret Atwood
- 6. A Cowboy's Soliloquy , Domenick John O'Malley
- 7. Who's Riding Old Harlequin Now? , Harry 'Breaker' Harbord Morant
- 8. Open Range , Robert Fletcher
- 9. Jest 'Fore Christmas , Eugene Field
- 10. The Shooting Of Dan Mcgrew , Robert William Service
- 11. Eldorado , Edgar Allan Poe
- 12. The Ballad Of Cowboy Bob , David Burton Richardson
- 13. The Man From Snowy River , Banjo Paterson
- 14. Christmas Trees , Robert Frost
- 15. Laska , Frank Desprez
- 16. The Cremation Of Sam Mcgee , Robert William Service
- 17. The Trusty Lariat (Cowboy Fireman) , Harry McClintock
- 18. The Cowboys Homing , Arthur Chapman
- 19. Texas Cowboy , Karle Wilson Baker
- 20. Coyote , Francis Bret Harte
- 21. The Ballad Of William Sycamore [1790-1871] , Stephen Vincent Benet
- 22. Scotty's Wild Stuff Stoo , Francis Humphris Brown
- 23. Little Breeches , John Hay
- 24. The West , Sharlot Hall
- 25. Texas Types -- The Cowboy , William Lawrence Chittenden
- 26. The Cowboy , James Tate
- 27. That Li'l Baldy Hoss , Robert Fletcher
- 28. Crossing The Divide , James W Foley
- 29. The Ballad Of Blasphemous Bill , Robert William Service
- 30. A Prayer , Frank Dempster Sherman
- 31. Little Joe, the Wrangler , Nathan Howard Thorp
- 32. Ten Thousand Cattle Straying , Owen Wister
- 33. The Belled Coyote , Robert Fletcher
- 34. Little Orphant Annie , James Whitcomb Riley
- 35. A Cowboy Song , Marilyn Lott
- 36. Cowboys , Michael Philips
- 37. Playin' Cowboy (Children) , C.J. Heck
- 38. Hellbound Train , Anonymous Americas
- 39. ' As Old, As East Of Eden... ' , MoonBee Canady
- 40. Band Concert , Carl Sandburg
- 41. 'An Old School Valentine' , Linda Winchell
- 42. Zz Border Collies Dilemma Or Lessons Of .. , Mary Havran
- 43. The Loving Shepherdess , Robinson Jeffers
- 44. I Am A Cowboy In The Boat Of Ra , Ishmael Reed
- 45. ' Cowboy Portrait... ' (Cowboy Poem # 8) , MoonBee Canady
- 46. ' It Was A Cowboy - Knight... ' (Cowboy.. , MoonBee Canady
- 47. My Dream Feels-The Writing Of , Lonnie Hicks
- 48. Wings Into The Rain , Dr subhendu kar
- 49. The Beauty Hidden In A Beauty , .., Rahman .., Henry
- 50. The Secret Of Being A Cowboy , Catherynne M. Valente
New Cowboy Poems
- carpe diem