Your stomach stretched thin
Your rib cage pronounced
A bewildered gaze tell your story
Where are your parents?
Where are your friends?
You are dying from hunger
And there are no outstretched hands
You were dealt losing cards
Although you played to win
Some will say it's because you sin
On your back you lay
Hands on belly
Dead but breathing still
What type of life you lived?
Have you ever smiled?
Ever laughed uncontrollably
Because you were filled with joy?
Ever been out on the town?
If you did it does not show
Your body does not tell
Of happy times
It says grief, loneliness, abandonment
Ever gazed at the sky?
Dreamed of greatness and significance?
A time without lack
Maybe so but your body disagrees
Hunger, hunger is what I see
What if you could dream again?
Hope again and laugh?
If you are going to die anyway
Why not just laugh?
This is your last hour
Cannot receive food now
Thirst cannot be quenched now
Laugh for the first time
Buxton Shippy's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Hunger by Buxton Shippy )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
A Dream Within A Dream
Edgar Allan Poe
- ZZ Companies Using Sugar Burn Animals Al.., Saiom Shriver
- starry smile, Eva Tortora
- lit up ocean, Eva Tortora
- A Boy's Dream (Sad), Manauwer Raza
- blue moon orange, Eva Tortora
- Lone gypsy 2, Nalini Chaturvedi
- an angle of angels........................, Eva Tortora
- a mile of music ~!, Eva Tortora
- walk with me, Eva Tortora
- petals in the sand......................., Eva Tortora