I Am Not Nostalgic Person.
I am not nostalgic person though my past still clings to me
And I still hear the chaffinch singing on the leafy alder tree
And though he sings in a green valley more than half a World away
He is near me very near me in my heart he sings today.
I am not nostalgic person though for my Homeland I've shed tears
When I'd come home from the bar room and had drunk too many beers
And the next day I remember at my conduct I felt shame
And of course I found the scapegoat 'twas the liquor was to blame.
I am not nostalgic person for my Homeland I don't pine
It's a problem with some migrants but such problem is not mine
If I constantly felt homesick I would buy my ticket home
But I harbour no such feelings and nostalgia I've outgrown
I am not nostalgic person I am not afraid to say
That I like the Land I live in though my Homeland's far away
But I still can hear the dipper where the river meets the rill
And I still can hear the skylark pipe above the bracken hill.
I am not nostalgic person I don't pine for my Homeland
But why some people feel so homesick not so hard to understand
In their new Land they can't settle 'for awhile I felt that way'
But the yearning that I felt then with me did not seem to stay.
Francis Duggan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (I Am Not Nostalgic Person. by Francis Duggan )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- January’s Sad Refrain, Teresa Dearing
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
Poem of the Day
- Spring in the Holy Land, Nero CaroZiv
- A Man Of Different Charectarestics, Musa Ndhlovu
- Ever Hike in Hope, Pintu Mahakul
- The Past, Eugene Latumbo
- Lovely Hand, Pintu Mahakul
- There you are, Cee Bea
- Memories:, Gaurav Pandey
- Loneliness, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Christmas Tree, Zoila T. Flores
- I Did Not Ask Him, But Said He, I Am A M.., Bijay Kant Dubey