I Am Not Nostalgic Person.
I am not nostalgic person though my past still clings to me
And I still hear the chaffinch singing on the leafy alder tree
And though he sings in a green valley more than half a World away
He is near me very near me in my heart he sings today.
I am not nostalgic person though for my Homeland I've shed tears
When I'd come home from the bar room and had drunk too many beers
And the next day I remember at my conduct I felt shame
And of course I found the scapegoat 'twas the liquor was to blame.
I am not nostalgic person for my Homeland I don't pine
It's a problem with some migrants but such problem is not mine
If I constantly felt homesick I would buy my ticket home
But I harbour no such feelings and nostalgia I've outgrown
I am not nostalgic person I am not afraid to say
That I like the Land I live in though my Homeland's far away
But I still can hear the dipper where the river meets the rill
And I still can hear the skylark pipe above the bracken hill.
I am not nostalgic person I don't pine for my Homeland
But why some people feel so homesick not so hard to understand
In their new Land they can't settle 'for awhile I felt that way'
But the yearning that I felt then with me did not seem to stay.
Francis Duggan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (I Am Not Nostalgic Person. by Francis Duggan )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Red, Red Rose, Robert Burns
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Bottle And Friend, Robert Burns
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- To A Mouse, Robert Burns
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- Remember Me, Sammi Jorgensen
- A Mother and Her Teen.., Norman Jin Shyr Wang
- MY LIFE, Sammi Jorgensen
- When I Was Depressed, Hailey Stump
- Change, Sammi Jorgensen
- Stand up to them, Nicola Kelly
- Growing old sucks, Nicola Kelly
- Say, Hailey Stump
- Raindrops of my tears, Nicola Kelly
- A ventriloquist without a dummy, Nicola Kelly