I thought you were my friend
Hey man I thought you were my friend.
I thought you were someone who didn't have to lie or pretend
I thought you were someone who would be there, someone that could be trusted
Someone that would stand up whenever I got busted
I thought I could tell you things that I couldn't tell others
But when I learned these things slipped from your mouth I said why bother?
Every word I would say, every act I would do
Would go straight to your boyfriend like it went right through you
You think he's your friend? You think he's your man?
Then go right ahead! Be his puppy dog fan!
Follow him to heaven or follow him to hell
Frankly I don't give a damn since our friendship fell.
You think he's your boyfriend? You think he's your life?
Then go ahead and marry him! Be his stupid wife!
But if he rejects you, don't come crying to me. It's your own damn fault you choose him over me!
I tried talkin' some truth, I tried talkin' some sense
But you'd plug up your ears with a damn fifty foot fence!
The moment you met him you thought he was your love
You'd be together forever like two turtle doves!
But where was I in this perfect life of yours?
Oh yeah, that's right. To you I was dirt on the floor!
I was nothing, I was gone, I was garbage in the trash!
When he came along I was gone in a flash!
You didn't care if your words hurt me inside
All you cared about was him at your damn bedside
You deceived me, you betrayed me. Every word was a lie!
Don't you dare say your sorry! Don't even try.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (I thought you were my friend by Sapher Wolf )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Gordon D Wilkinson
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 December 1797 – 15 February 1869)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(31 March 1934 – 31 May 2009)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Life-Lesson, James Whitcomb Riley
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- I Scream, Michael P. McParland
- If We Were Good......., Sandra Feldman
- Consolation, Tony Adah
- Goodnight Kiss, Michael P. McParland
- Marshes Of Life, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- What I Dream And What I Find, Amitava Sur
- Waves Within...., Umasree Raghunath
- Children of Peshawar! My heart bleeds fo.., Umasree Raghunath
- A History Of The Future- What's THAT? ? .., Bri Edwards
- Epistle therefrom Death, Sir Toby Moses