I Will Die/But I Do Not Know How I Will Die
I will die
But I do not know how I will die
Will I know it is going to happen
Shortly before I die
Or will it come unexpectedly
Without giving me a chance
To say a last goodbye?
Will it be through some horrible pain
I suddenly experience?
Or will it be in Peace and Resignation?
Will it be at the end of a long slow process
Of losing everything even clarity of mind?
Or will it come when I can say ‘Shema Yisrael'
With all my heart and soul and mind?
It will come
But I do not know
When and how it will come
I of course do not want it to come soon
But I alone will not determine it
In this life
As in this Death
And hopefully in this afterlife
It is not wholly up to me
I am dependent on the verdict of God
Shalom Freedman's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (I Will Die/But I Do Not Know How I Will Die by Shalom Freedman )
Did you read them?
- Intensity Of A Mere Poet, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Distant Whirring, Curtlan Popo
- A Challenge Title Contest - 2014's Oct N.., Brian Johnston
- Intuitively Wondering, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- No Other Presence, Hannah Bryson Price
- Transcendent Evolution, Curtlan Popo
- Stress = God Is In Control, Tom Zart
- Another Crossroads, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- I am remembering that day, gajanan mishra
- Climbing A Mountain, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Barbie Doll, Marge Piercy
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Heather Burns
(9 November 1928 – 4 October 1974)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)