Sheldon Allan Silverstein
If The World Was Crazy
If the world was crazy, you know what I'd eat?
A big slice of soup and a whole quart of meat,
A lemonade sandwich, and then I might try
Some roasted ice cream or a bicycle pie,
A nice notebook salad, and underwear roast,
An omelet of hats and some crisp cardboard toast,
A thick malted milk made from pencils and daisies,
And that's what I'd eat if the world was crazy.
If the world was crazy, you know what I'd wear?
A chocolate suit and a tie of eclair,
Some marshmallow earmuffs, some licorice shoes,
And I'd read a paper of peppermint news.
I'd call the boys 'Suzy' and I'd call the girls 'Harry,'
I'd talk through my ears, and I always would carry
A paper unbrella for when it grew hazy
To keep in the rain, if the world was crazy.
If the world was crazy, you know what I'd do?
I'd walk on the ocean and swim in my shoe,
I'd fly through the ground and I'd skip through the air,
I'd run down the bathtub and bathe on the stair.
When I met somebody I'd say 'G'bye, Joe,'
And when I was leaving - then I'd say 'Hello.'
And the greatest of men would be silly and lazy
So I would be king... if the world was cazy.
Sheldon Allan Silverstein's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (If The World Was Crazy by Sheldon Allan Silverstein )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Leisure, William Henry Davies
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Life-Lesson, James Whitcomb Riley
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- To her...., PARTHA SARATHI PAUL
- Sunset Couple Time, Saiom Shriver
- Waiting On Nothing, Kyle Schlicher
- Cut Myself While Shaving, Kyle Schlicher
- The Basket Weavers, Holly Wotherspoon
- Eternal Life, Michael P. McParland
- Enriched, Michael P. McParland
- Christmas Lights, Meriam Joseph
- 12/12/13, Andy Sayasone
- Endless Deep Beauty, Michael P. McParland