In June In Old Liscreagh
In a lush damp meadow in Liscreagh
In a rushy clump the brown hare lay
From predators well hid away
He doze and sleep for most of the day.
And at twilight he ventures out
For to graze in the pasture fields about
And under the starry cloak of night
He eats his fill in peace and quiet.
It's early Summer in Liscreagh
And badger and her cubs in the twilight gray
Through fields and meadows amble slow
And dig for grubs and earth worms by hedgerow.
And after early morning showers
The old fields in their Summer flowers
In the noon sunshine look fresh and green
And Nature at her best is seen.
And meadows mown for silage and hay
Scent sweetly in June in old Liscreagh
And dark winged swallows in the sky
All day long chirping as they fly.
And butterflies as white as snow
From tree to hedge flit to and fro
And in leafy grove the chaffinch sing
In his own territory he's king.
From Coolikerane bog across the way
The curlew's flute heard in Liscreagh
And robin pipes his lively tune
In Summer's early days in June.
Francis Duggan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (In June In Old Liscreagh by Francis Duggan )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Dream A World, Langston Hughes
- I, Too, Langston Hughes
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- Let America be America Again, Langston Hughes
- Democracy, Langston Hughes
- April Rain Song, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- Dance With Me, Michael P. McParland
- Spy Terrorist, Marieta Maglas
- So what becomes of you my love?, Akhil S Behl
- In the Eye of the Ferris Wheel, Reagan A. Latumbo
- On Taking Secretaries to Lunch, Donal Mahoney
- The Lizard Said Yes, Tony Adah
- For real this time, yashovardhan kulkarni
- hey hog rider, does the roof have ricket.., Mandolyn ...
- my hair is still growing as fast as the .., Mandolyn ...
- New Mexico Sky, Taiko