In the Classroom
In the glass hours of morning
I am back in the lecture hall
With my uniform, bag and everything
Amid the class teacher’s frenzied roll call.
Roll no.9 she shouts out
I’m here ma’am no doubt
Me she gives a grim look
I hide my face in a book.
She rises with duster and chalk
I force on myself a silence
Pretending to hear her talk
Holding onto my brittle patience.
She goes on and on and on
Her babbles pouring like rain
Soon my defenses are all gone
Staying awake becomes a burden.
I get away into my dreamland
Far from the stiffness of rules
Where I dance holding the fairy’s hand
And there are no syllabus and schools.
My dream is so cute and cool
A freedom of endless peace
Till my ears feel the stinging pull
You’re sleeping? Shouts the Miss!
Pradip Chattopadhyay's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (In the Classroom by Pradip Chattopadhyay )
Did you read them?
- 'Charlie Girl', Katherine Nordhaus
- Madrigal Dedicated To An Angel., Marcondes Pereira
- Halloween, lee fones
- Canned thoughts, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Aunt Giovanna, at 80, Gary Corseri
- For To be An Indian English Poet, You St.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Magical, David Harris
- A Necessary Wish, Sandra Feldman
- Stations of life, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Waves of customers inside those stores, MOHAMMAD SKATI
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Fern Hill, Dylan Thomas
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Clown in the Moon, Dylan Thomas
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(January 6, 1883 – April 10, 1931)