'In the Pink'
So Davies wrote: ' This leaves me in the pink. '
Then scrawled his name: ' Your loving sweetheart Willie '
With crosses for a hug. He'd had a drink
Of rum and tea; and, though the barn was chilly,
For once his blood ram warm; he had pay to spend,
Winter was passing; soon the year would mend.
He couldn't sleep that night. Stiff in the dark
He groaned and thought of Sundays at the farm,
When he'd go out as cheerful as a lark
In his best suit to wander arm-in-arm
With brown-eyed Gwen, and whisper in her ear
The simple, silly things she liked to hear.
And then he thought: to-morrow night we trudge
Up to the trenches, and my boots are rotten.
Five miles of stodgy clay and freezing sludge,
And everything but wretchedness forgotten.
To-night he's in the pink; but soon he'll die.
And still the war goes on; he don't know why.
Siegfried Sassoon's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem ('In the Pink' by Siegfried Sassoon )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- winter, Clara Keiper
- After Rudyard Kipling, Josh Mitteldorf
- The cold will come, Gianfranco Aurilio
- Boredom, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- 'It Is Nothing To write Home About', Almedia Knight Oliver
- Tyranny, Amitava Sur
- Be Near Heaven's Door, Naveed Akram
- On The Brink Of Insanity, Michael Webb
- Just Passing Through, Lora Colon
- Clarified Heart, Naveed Akram