Reason A. Poteet
Internal Combustion Engines
Subtitle: Boys Will Be Boys
Male internal combustion knock
has much to do with raw fuel.
Most fellows think it’s really cool.
They brag of how their innards talk.
Thanksgiving Day - so much to say,
after eating, they really squawk.
I think they run a private school
for internal combustion knock.
Male internal combustion ping
a refrain that blames the fuel.
It’s worse when two stage a duel.
Mom pardons how their innards sing.
On Christmas Day - much on their tray.
After eating, they really zing.
She tries to impose a gag rule
on internal combustion ping.
Male internal combustion noise,
results from high octane fuel.
To their mother nothing's new, well -
let them debate their inner joys.
On any day - her guys can play,
while they're eating, boys will be boys,
any excuse to play the fool
with internal combustion noise.
Reason A. Poteet's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
An octain refrain, a form invented by Luke Prater, Dec.2010. Structure - eight lines as two tercets and a couplet, eight syllables per line with the first line repeated as the last (small variations are allowed)
Rhyme - A-b-b, a-c/c-a, b-A. A = repeated refrain line; c/c refers to line five which has mid-line (internal) rhyme. This rhyme should be different from the a and b rhymes. Any extra mid-line rhyme is like a bonus!
A High Octain is simple a double octain refrain...I have written a third just for fun.
Comments about this poem (Internal Combustion Engines by Reason A. Poteet )
- If Not Homespun, Scott J. Shepard
- Gifts, Scott J. Shepard
- Courage, Scott J. Shepard
- For Those Who Starve, Scott J. Shepard
- Gorgeous Girls, Scott J. Shepard
- Your Wet Eyelashes, Eyelids, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Minor Keys, Scott J. Shepard
- My Forgotten Love, Gianni Pansensoy
- Social Reconstruction, Scott J. Shepard
- Rain, Chad Seagraves
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)