Daniel Trevelyn Joseph
Is Life Child's Play?
Bliss was it in that dusk on Skywalk today
To see children enjoying time, every way.
Boys are so active and noisy, pushing and pulling,
Girls so pretty and competitive, Badi hokey bomb banegi!
Suffer little children to come unto me
For theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven.
Very true even in Bandra East slums in 2011 AD.
Since the days I was a kid, more than half century ago,
The distance between parents and children
Has reduced very much, I can see.
Not one child I saw this evening
Looked sad, or morose: not one mother
Or father should at his or any child.
Jai Ho! The Indian Child of today
Will surely go forth, and conquer
Wealth, skill and technology.
My hope and fear is different:
Capacity to look inward – a la Kathopanishad,
Will have to be learnt by the child alone,
For the parents have become materialistic.
Daniel Trevelyn Joseph's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Is Life Child's Play? by Daniel Trevelyn Joseph )
(30 June 1911 – 14 August 2004)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Dante Gabriel Rossetti
(12 May 1828 – 9 April 1882)
(22 August 1893 - 7 June 1967)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Christmas Carol, Sara Teasdale
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- A Question, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Ring Out , Wild Bells, Alfred Lord Tennyson
Poem of the Day
- Elevated Insight, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Teach them to love, Lubinda Lubinda
- Beyond The Ordinary, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- the comical dilemma with commas, Bull Hawking
- Hitler: A Life Immersed in Hypocrisy, Paul Hartal
- Creative Interests, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Villanelle: No curse worse than the plac.., T (no first name) Wignesan
- Sense Of Fulfillment, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- here workin' for hugs on Christmas eve, Bull Hawking
- Poetry of the Stars, Shahrokh Sharifrazy