Jumbled Sewing Basket, Green and White Wicker
jumbled sewing basket, green and white wicker:
of reading! coloured threads and gilded, too;
strange bits of tulle, and on the underside,
sunset lamé, and pinking shears, if you want
to get fancy. silks from the first fairytales,
a spool of dreaming...
summer brocades and thimbles from the fairy haunts,
Grandmother said. cathedral floss and something
lost and patches from your mother's dresses,
loveliest of all: sprigged lavender, tangerine or rosy.
chocolate bars and ruby delicious apples.
(they're from the cupboard, stenciled in
Pennsylvania Dutch, I wished, quickly, in pink and green
with lemon rick-rack) .
is that too much description said the teacher, gently-
dressed in her leading questions, back-to-back.
you didn't know my Grandmother, did you?
I said, mysteriously, hummingbird-sipping
my fizzing coke.
mary douglas's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Note on the Poem: In school I often got in trouble for using too many adjectives. Not much has changed.
Of course we didn't drink cokes in the classroom.
Every day after school I fixed my grandmother and I a coke over ice and we sat and talked about the day and other things and used as many adjectives as possible!
Comments about this poem (Jumbled Sewing Basket, Green and White Wicker by mary douglas )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Death is Nothing at All, Henry Scott Holland
- WATER MUSIC, I. _ ['Musiche sull'Acqua'.., Fabrizio Frosini
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
Poem of the Day
- Chinese Sonnets, Robert Ronnow
- Caterpillar fur, Robert Ronnow
- The One I Adore, Michael P. McParland
- My other half, Asit Kumar Sanyal
- Bird's View - Lincoln Park Zoo, Ima Ryma
- motherly love, Candymarie Nevin
- Random Thought, fletcher maddern
- Still Awake 2, Michael P. McParland
- Esprit de corps, Naveed Khalid
- Escaping Home, RoseAnn V. Shawiak