There was mela** of fogs atop
and around the hill.
Unknown that was to me
why the fogs chose the place for the mela
under the porch of sunbeams.
I chose none to ask
why the wind was blowing there
chasing the fogs.
Felt like asking
why Khorampa chose to stand ill-at-ease there.
this too I asked not.
Why lives chose to be housed
in the hills of unease?
Where life sets out for a journey,
the end unknown to itself.
keeps going filled with wants,
towards an unknown horizon.
Then it ends, known to none.
At times being crushed under the rocks.
At times falling downhill to eternity.
At times being washed in the flood to the point of no arrival.
I asked none
why life ends in ways uncertain.
yet, exists there with lives yet to drain.
No reason I sought for its continued existence.
The reason, I guess,
is just that
an uneasy rhythm of life
is more life like than an easy death.
Translated from original Nepali by Mukul Dahal and Manu Manjil
* Khorampa: A remote poverty smitten village in Bhojpur, a hill district in eastern Nepal.
** mela: a fair
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Khorampa* by Suman Pokhrel )
- If You Took The Time To Care, Ronell Warren Alman
- Let's live in Tokyo, Mark Heathcote
- Second class soul, Liss March
- Yes, I am on this wheel, gajanan mishra
- TWO LOVERS ON A PORCH IN THE MIDWEST, NICHOLAS CAMPBELL
- See and feel, gajanan mishra
- Am i here by virtue of the shadows, cristobal Benjumea
- SOME THOUGHTS ABOUT THE SUN, NICHOLAS CAMPBELL
- I am always with you, gajanan mishra
- SOFT POCKET HERCULES, NICHOLAS CAMPBELL
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)