King of The Jungle
(For Francie 1956-2009)
He went back to look for his youth,
In echoes, shadows and stains,
Back to where his memory was more easily seduced,
Walking in verdant lanes.
He recognized in the moist and smoky air,
His legacy in others’ hearts,
An undying image of his flair.
Smelling the past in dilapidated rooms,
As if in his own personal museum,
While Time plundered all our lives,
He remained behind the screen.
Escaping the ravages of the cynical eye,
He hid innocence wrapped in light,
From an unforgiving sky.
In the darkness, his mother and father calling him,
As they used to, for his tea,
He was forced to finally admit, that,
Freedom is only useful to the free.
No Hollywood boulevard pavement stone,
Shall mark his starring role,
His time among us, will linger forever,
In the mercury of our soul.
Dermot McGarthy's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (King of The Jungle by Dermot McGarthy )
- But we are one, gajanan mishra
- You are my sweet lovely heart, Mazid S Kazi , INDIA
- I am the time, Aftab Alam
- The one who is blessed by the God is su.., Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- Angel, Asit Kumar Sanyal
- Malaria, hasmukh amathalal
- The life we have lived, Goodenough Sakhile Dlamini
- At our will, hasmukh amathalal
- See the fishes, hasmukh amathalal
- Two Become One, Loide V Augustinus