The tiger roamed across the snow,
No certain place in mind,
With nowhere special he should go
And no romance to find...
Just plodding on, without remorse,
Just yawning now and then,
Just letting Nature take its course,
While snow was back again...
Of course, he'd seen the snow before
And yet what could he do?
It wasn't something to ignore,
Just something to live through...
So on he plodded till fatigued,
Then all at once he stopped,
When all his senses then agreed,
How suddenly he flopped!
Now laid back there and quite relaxed,
He yawned the longest yawn,
No longer feeling quite so taxed,
Though humbled, not forlorn...
For even tigers know they're beat
By acres all aglow,
That's when, laid back, they stretch their feet,
Serene amid the snow...
Denis Martindale, copyright, December 2013.
The poem is based on the magnificent painting
by Stephen Gayford called 'Laid Back'.
Find more wildlife poems using Google search
for the search phrase Stephen Gayford poetry.
Denis Martindale's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Laid Back... by Denis Martindale )
- Path Of No Resistance, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- If Love... The This Follow...., Luis Estable
- Can This Be My Mistake, Luis Estable
- He was a carpenter. He worked with wood., Royston Allen
- An Open Mind, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.54, Monk E. Biz
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.53, Monk E. Biz
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.52, Monk E. Biz
- That Kid Is Me, Luis Estable
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.51, Monk E. Biz
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Farewell, Anne Brontë
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)