The tiger roamed across the snow,
No certain place in mind,
With nowhere special he should go
And no romance to find...
Just plodding on, without remorse,
Just yawning now and then,
Just letting Nature take its course,
While snow was back again...
Of course, he'd seen the snow before
And yet what could he do?
It wasn't something to ignore,
Just something to live through...
So on he plodded till fatigued,
Then all at once he stopped,
When all his senses then agreed,
How suddenly he flopped!
Now laid back there and quite relaxed,
He yawned the longest yawn,
No longer feeling quite so taxed,
Though humbled, not forlorn...
For even tigers know they're beat
By acres all aglow,
That's when, laid back, they stretch their feet,
Serene amid the snow...
Denis Martindale, copyright, December 2013.
The poem is based on the magnificent painting
by Stephen Gayford called 'Laid Back'.
Find more wildlife poems using Google search
for the search phrase Stephen Gayford poetry.
Denis Martindale's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Laid Back... by Denis Martindale )
- Under the stairs., Harold R Hunt Sr
- On my shoulder, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Out of the mouth of babies., Harold R Hunt Sr
- Chand Khoya He Badlo Mein, Hwa Khamoshi .., Yashvardhan Goel
- Later Tonight, Michael McParland
- summer, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Down by the river., Harold R Hunt Sr
- North vs South, Harold R Hunt Sr
- sleepy town, Harold R Hunt Sr
- What's happen?, Harold R Hunt Sr
Poem of the Day
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Love After Love, Derek Walcott
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 January 1832 – 14 January 1898)