Okonkwo Osamedua. Allen
'Lamentation of a deity'
The god laments:
Ewuru! Ewuru! You have uncovered my nakedness!
You have thrown sand upon my banquet
And joined strangers to vilify me.
I, who was once your fathers pride
They neither ate nor drank until they feed their precious bride!
I, who once craddled you in my arms, now i prove
But a scorn to you and your new found love
You thrust a knife into my heart and say 'die'!
Die! Die! Can the breathless die?
Not even a decent burial will you arrange
But your fathers, such entreaties to my shrine would they engage!
For then when i hiss they all begin to cry
The god is angry! the god is angry! , even when i sigh
The women run into their rooms in terror
Aru! Men shake thier heads in horror
For my visit is mixed with a terrible anger
Grains, wine and blood they lay before my alter
A sacrifice of bribery, yes of bribery!
Appease! Appease! They offer to my fiery
But you, Ewuru, have cultivated a heart to hate me
Like a chick, you run afer another she
I, who once from ages to ages
Must now repose, like a mere man to his hades
But remember me! You and your household
A fearsome god indeed in the days of old
Ha! Ewuru! I die, but this is madness
I say madness! !
Rest! Shall the heavens grant thee grace
And the earth her solemn peace
For only in lines shall i bear
Thy deeds, but then who cares to hear
Fret not for thine abandoned soul and fame
The world must never remain the same
For all are part of a system neither of us had made
And like thee, i soon, before it, shall finally fade
Season must come with its own drunkeness
perhaps this is all madness
Indeed i say madness! !
Okonkwo Osamedua. Allen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem ('Lamentation of a deity' by Okonkwo Osamedua. Allen )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(2 June 1840 – 11 January 1928)
(13 February 1879 - 2 March 1949)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
- Jiske Dhun Par Duniya Nache, Kumar Vishwas
- TRUST COMMITMENT & LOVE, Tom Zart
Poem of the Day
- Interviewed, Nassy Fesharaki
- What Can The Heart Do If It Falls In Lov.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Gypsy Songs, Ben Jonson
- A hope that is not available, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- INSTRUCTIONS TO LIFE, Michael P. Johnson
- An English Girl, So Beautiful And Lovely!, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Peace, hafiz qasim
- While Strolling Down the Beach Today, Kenn Nesbitt
- I Am A Don, I Am A Don. Yes, Boss, You A.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- In a Nutshell, hafiz qasim