Land and Sea
As though by some eternal decree
Land and Sea are destined to disagree
over where the shoreline should be.
At tide time the Sea rises in anger,
roars with a sound like thunder,
summons all the power it can muster.
The Sea advances in waves,
pushes the shoreline in steps,
overwhelms Land's defences.
The Land retreats stage by stage,
as the Sea extends its range,
All the while dissipating its rage.
In time, the Sea is pacified and content,
calls upon its waves to beat a retreat,
to rest and get ready for the next fight.
The Land watches with delight
as the shoreline follows the retreat,
and reclaims the land that was lost.
Both contenders must for a time rest,
for there will soon be another contest,
one which is continuously won and lost.
Isam Hussain's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Land and Sea by Isam Hussain )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- I Am A Temple, Elma Burke
- dirTY scratches on a napkin by, the de.., sEaN nOrTh
- Words, Monica Lanier
- I Believed In You, Lilly Emery
- Fairyland, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- Babul ki Dua, Akhtar Jawad
- The Greatest Dream, Jyothirmai Uppu
- overleg, co the skipper
- Borders, ' Phony Scandals' and Burgers, Sandra Feldman
- Electric Love, Electric Lady