Letter Of Recommendation From My Father To My Future Wife
During the war, I was in China.
Every night we blew the world to hell.
The sky was purple and yellow
like his favorite shirt.
I was in India once
on the Ganges in a tourist boat.
There were soldiers,
some women with parasols.
A dead body floated by
going in the opposite direction.
My son likes this story
and requests it each year at Thanksgiving.
When he was twelve,
there was an accident.
He almost went blind.
For three weeks he lay in the hospital,
his eyes bandaged.
He did not like visitors,
but if they came
he'd silently hold their hand as they talked.
are all he requires.
Tell him you never saw anyone
at parallel parking.
Still, your life will not be easy.
Just look in the drawer where he keeps his socks.
Nothing matches. And what's the turtle shell
doing there, or the map of the moon,
or the surgeon's plastic model of a take-apart heart?
You must understand --
he doesn't see the world clearly.
Once he screamed, "The woods are on fire!"
when it was only a blue cloud of insects
lifting from the trees.
But he's a good boy.
He likes to kiss
and be kissed.
I remember mornings
he would wake me, stroking my whiskers
and kissing my hand.
He'll tell you -- and it's true --
he prefers the green of your eyes
to all the green life
of heaven and earth.
Richard Jones's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Letter Of Recommendation From My Father To My Future Wife by Richard Jones )
- LIVING DEATH, Roberto Randazzo
- If you hate me, Aftab Alam
- We remember them, Royston Allen
- The Last poem, Kamal Nasser
- In The Stars And Sun, Michael McParland
- LIMERICK-6 (Chemistry question), Saheb Mohapatra
- Limerick-46, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- Haiku-3 (DEATH), Saheb Mohapatra
- Survivors, Ibrahim Nasrallah
- where do I start, Steven S. Walsky
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- November, Thomas Hood
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Would Live In Your Love, Sara Teasdale
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- I Am Offering This Poem, Jimmy Santiago Baca
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Heather Burns
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(January 6, 1883 – April 10, 1931)
Victor Marie Hugo
(26 February 1802 – 22 May 1885)
Percy Bysshe Shelley