Henry Livingston Jr.
Letter Sent to Master Timmy Dwight
Master Timmy brisk and airy
Blythe as Oberon the fairy
On thy head thy cousin wishes
Thousand and ten thousand blisses.
Never may thy wicket ball
In a well or puddle fall;
Or thy wild ambitious kite
O'er the elm's thick foliage light.
When on bended knee thou sittest
And the mark in fancy hittest
May thy marble truly trace
Where thy wishes mark'd the place.
If at hide and seek you play,
All involved in the hay
Titt'ring hear the joyful sound
"Timmy never can be found."
If you hop or if you run
Or whatever is the fun
Vic'try with her sounding pinion
Hover o'er her little minion.
But when hunger calls the boys
From their helter skelter joys
Bread and cheese in order standing
For their most rapacious handling
Timmy may thy luncheon be
More than Ben's as five to three,
But if hasty pudding's dish
Meet thy vast capacious wish -
Or lob-lollys charming jelly
Court thy cormorantal belly
Mortal foe to megre fast
Be thy spoonful first and last.
Henry Livingston Jr.'s Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Letter Sent to Master Timmy Dwight by Henry Livingston Jr. )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I, Too, Langston Hughes
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Life Is Fine, Langston Hughes
- April Rain Song, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- [®XLIX~]Watch Super Bowl 2015 (49) Live.., Renz Barns
Poem of the Day
- Nature in tact, hasmukh amathalal
- Daytime tropic, Luo Zhihai
- Vibrant Liberation, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Fear of the society, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- from..., Morgan Michaels
- Ebony Sadness Of Grief, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Comes only once, hasmukh amathalal
- Giving Entire Being, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Poetry Of This Night, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Poetry Is Scrapbooking, Dexsta Ray