Giles Fletcher The Elder
Licia Sonnets 03
The heavens beheld the beauty of my queen,
And all amazed, to wonder thus began:
"Why dotes not Jove, as erst we all have seen,
And shapes himself like to a seemly man?
Mean are the matches which he sought before,
Like bloomless buds, too base to make compare,
And she alone hath treasured beauty's store,
In whom all gifts and princely graces are.
Cupid replied: "I posted with the sun
To view the maids that livéd in those days,
And none there was that might not well be won,
But she, most hard, most cold, made of delays.
Heavens were deceived, and wrong they do esteem,
She hath no heat, although she living seem.
Giles Fletcher The Elder's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Licia Sonnets 03 by Giles Fletcher The Elder )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Removed, Ismim Putera
- Tudung and Selendang, Ismim Putera
- Digital Children, Ismim Putera
- The Malay Adat, Ismim Putera
- Rice, Ismim Putera
- Come and stay and see, gajanan mishra
- Under The Canopy, Neela Nath
- Not able to stay pure, gajanan mishra
- Papa, papa, hasmukh amathalal
- Who is Richard Thripp?, Richard Thripp