Lines on the Opening of a Spring Campaign
Spring! thy impatient bloom restrain!
Nor wake so soon thy genial power;
For deeds of death must hail thy reign,
And clouds of fate around thee lower:....
In vain thy balmy breath to me
Scents with its sweets the evening gale;
In vain the violet's charms I see,
Or fondly mark thy primrose pale:
To me thy softest zephyrs breathe
Of sorrow's soul-disparting tone;
To me thy most attractive wreath
Seems tinged with human blood alone.
Arrest thy steps, thou source of love,
Thou genial friend of joy and life!
Let not thy smile propitious prove
To works of carnage, scenes of strife:
Bid winter all his frowns recall,
And back his icy footsteps trace;
Again the soil in frost enthral,
And check the war-fiend's murderous chase.
Fond, fruitless prayer! Thy hand divine
The smiling season on must lead;
And still at war's ensanguined shrine
Must bid unnumbered victims bleed.
Amelia Opie's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Lines on the Opening of a Spring Campaign by Amelia Opie )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
A Dream Within A Dream
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
- No More Hope, Michael McParland
- Freedom Fighters, George Egba
- A Piece Of The Storm, Mark Strand
- So You Say, Mark Strand
- The New Poetry Handbook, Mark Strand
- SOME WORDS ARE NOT DELICATE, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- I Love You Because...!, Asma Riaz Khan
- My Struggle, Michael McParland
- An Exausted Soul, Michael McParland
- Here I Lie; A Grain In My Ignorance., Agboyi Felix