They say I wait alone for one so long ago,
But the boy across the street is no more.
The girl he loved, too, ceased to be.
They are buried there in borken heart
Beneath the calloused scars
Engraved: Ignorance and injustice.
Though bullets missed the boy
Helplessly swinging on a rope,
They killed without a warning.
His ghost walks in prison blue
A body devoid of manhood.
The girl cast from society
Wears well the stain of hurt
That none see 'neath their lies
A love most pure and holy
Buried deep in memory.
Tears mourn the loss of youth
And the boy no longer a man.
Happy in prison he was not
This one whom I had hoped to love
But gayer and gayer about his time
The facts seemed quite apparent
Until in tears, I sobbed a cry
That echoed in my heart
"Go stop the Wedding March
And play the funeral song
For a soul no longer mine
I'll mourn this loss no more.
I'll find another one to hold
And love as I had loved you!"
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Lost Youth by Montye Rivera )
- What a lovely night to see a star., Raymond Sawyer
- Lonely mirror ball., Simon Gowen
- NYBADET NAKEN, Gunnar Mo.
- Haiku 'Pebbles', miken newman
- Here Then Now There, Guillermo Veloso
- Life, Proud SugarBoe
- When You Had Left, Poetic Lilly Emery
- A riddle poem, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- Help me please, Nassy Fesharaki
- Math Love, Jack Spurlock
Poem of the Day
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- It Is the Hour, George Gordon Byron
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)