I'd like to know if she remembers
Our first meeting, how our hands
Naturally moved to hold the other;
The first time I skipped school with her
And we planned our lives.
The times I listened to her decry the tyranny
Of her mother, gave support without agreeing,
As parents do, as we did.
Does she shudder at the early passions
On sand and grass and water?
Our speechless Sunday drives in her father's car
Before five more days of solitude.
The time I was home for lunch and she
Sat sipping tea with my mother.
Does she recall the rides we hitched
To snatch a visit with each other.
The friends who put us up, put up with us
Because they knew we were in love.
The many moves, the houses too,
The dinners out we could hardly afford.
The new, the used, the jobs and promotions,
And all our disappointments.
Does she ever think about these?
We camped away from home just to be alone
In leaky tents and mouse-filled cabins,
In places we explored together,
We laughed, cried, kept silent, walking everywhere.
We vowed before a crowd that covered sick and able.
We raised babies, shared friends, mourned our losses.
Does she remember any of this, I'd like to know.
Or did my disease of loyal lies
Erase all those years ago?
Francie Lynch's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Loyal Lies by Francie Lynch )
- THE BIRTH LAND, Abhishek Kumar Singh
- Hame Rone ki aadat pad gai, Ahatisham Alam
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.72, Mr. Nobody
- Lovers are Poets and Poets are Lovers, Mr. Nobody
- I dont have to but I love you Blues Song, Dimitri Jagodinski
- Mulder, John Carlos
- I am here to help you, gajanan mishra
- Father, gajanan mishra
- Within The Forest, Brianna SaurusRex
- The Beatles in Auckland, michael walker
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)