Beneath my mask hides my pain.
Hides my imperfections,
My insecurities, all my flaws.
Beneath my mask hides my scars.
Hides the self hatred,
My weaknesses, my secret addictions.
My mask is a grin, a smile, a joke.
My mask tricks you into believing I'm fine,
When I wish to just die.
My mask suffocates me.
It makes me look stronger,
When I'm the weakest.
It's a terrible charade.
It's a terrible lie,
But it makes you feel better.
I try to keep it on but it cracks,
Showing the true me,
And I rush to find glue.
I always thought that I was stronger.
But in reality I can barely breath.
The little demons are always finding a way in.
I wonder why they chose me as their prey,
Instead of someone else?
They constantly whisper hurtful things,
And claw their way to me in my sleep.
I am a victim of self hatred.
Never skinny enough,
Smart enough, funny enough
Or strong enough.
I'm tired of fighting this war.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Mask by Mary Gilliam )
- A Dream, Steve Kittell
- Waiting on my time, Gypsy Pain
- Mohabbat kaamil ho gayi, Ahatisham Alam
- Single Dad, louis rams
- A Victim of Love?, Mr. Nobody
- The Ugly Brother, Von Kimball Barney
- Khwaabon ki Haqikat, Ahatisham Alam
- THE BIRTH LAND, Abhishek Kumar Singh
- Hame Rone ki aadat pad gai, Ahatisham Alam
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.72, Mr. Nobody
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)