Dr John Celes
May God Give Us Another Glorious Pope!
From just a little boat that Jesus used,
With twelve disciples over watery miles,
Two millennia ago, the Church has grown
Into a mighty ship - Christianity,
That sails in deeper seas at stormy times,
With passengers myriad and crew boldly
Maintaining yet always stability!
The captain feels his frame has become frail
To guide the vessel on perilous seas;
His condescension is humility,
With some doubt on his own ability,
Decision with responsibility,
He's offering to quit the ministry,
Of Saint Peter with nobility,
To instill it with more vitality!
Such decisions a Pope may rarely take!
The Bark of Peter, stronger it could make!
The world's amidst lesser tranquility;
He bids adieu due to senility,
With conscience and sensibility;
Pray for a pope with more ability!
The ministry has tougher years ahead;
Quakes under seas and tsunamis too strike;
Icebergs are breaking off from polar caps,
Winds are fiercer and pirates throng the seas;
The captain must be versatile and brave;
The Holy Spirit is his heart's compass;
The Holy Mother promises safety;
And Jesus walks upon the seas ghostly!
As times are worse and tending to be worst,
The world increasingly appears accursed;
Nevertheless truth will triumph through Christ;
His resurrection will be always praised;
The blood of martyrs will not go awaste;
The souls of ‘sheep and shepherds' must be chaste;
When Christ on cross had bitter gall to taste,
Let's walk to Calvary without much haste!
A newer pope will certainly assume
His role and normalcy will then resume;
There is no need at all to fret or fume;
Heavenly grace will problems all consume.
But we must pray with mind and heart and soul;
The newer pope must fit his divine role;
Peter's successor must achieve his goal;
May sinful mountains turn into a mole!
Copyright by Dr John Celes 13-02-13
Dr John Celes's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (May God Give Us Another Glorious Pope! by Dr John Celes )
- Only in Vegas, Angela K Brown
- Morning, Angela K Brown
- Shifting Afternoon, Angela K Brown
- Song of Solomon, Angela K Brown
- The watcher is watched, Christopher Withers
- I Will Still Love You, Sandra Feldman
- Born Too Many Times, Oduro Bright Amoh
- Self Examination, Phil Soar
- Life's Prison, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- One Enchanted Garden, Sandra Feldman
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
(8 August 1884 – 29 January 1933)