Lizelia Augusta Jenkins Moorer
The ills of all the human race,
The woes of earth that bring disgrace
Would banish, if we only could,
Escape the fiend, Misunderstood.
When Eve and Adam pure and good,
The law divine misunderstood,
A downward course was then begun,
A race that all the earth must run.
The thought is sad, indeed, though true,
That sinners reap in season due,
The fruits of all they sow, and should,
For down in hell they're understood.
The infidels of giant brain,
Would save themselves a deal of pain,
By claiming truth, if such they could,
But they alas! misunderstood.
The wars that devastate the land,
The reason men for wrong will stand,
They have somewhere in seeking good,
The law of right misunderstood.
In harshness do we estimate,
The neighbors oft we underrate,
The scene would change it nature could,
The monster bare, Misunderstood.
The Negro Problem of the times,
Which breeds the most atrocious crimes,
Survives, because in crushing good,
The Golden rule's misunderstood.
The Savior's work on earth was one,
Of building up where sin had run,
He gave to all the highest good,
But passed through life misunderstood.
We long to rest when time is o'er,
In that beyond for evermore,
The habitation of the good,
Above the fiend, Misunderstood.
Lizelia Augusta Jenkins Moorer's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Misunderstood by Lizelia Augusta Jenkins Moorer )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
William Ernest Henley
(1849 - 1902)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- To an Athlete Dying Young, Alfred Edward Housman
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Alone With Everybody, Charles Bukowski
Poem of the Day
- You don't deserve a title, Marina Olivera Sangers
- Don't wait, Marina Olivera Sangers
- I am an eagle, Marina Olivera Sangers
- Exactly what I am looking for, Diamond The Ninja
- You're the one with issues, Marina Olivera Sangers
- Words, Marina Olivera Sangers
- Am I Asking Too Much, GJG Elton
- Perfection, Marina Olivera Sangers
- GroundSound, Marina Olivera Sangers
- Bukowski, Frank Avon