Norman Rowland Gale
Most Anglers are Very Humane
The kind-hearted angler was sadly pursuing
His calling unhallowed of choking the fishes;
He bitterly wept, for of course he was doing
An action most strongly opposed to his wishes!
His vertabra shook as he musingly planned
How kindly to threadle the worm he'd begun--it
Was plain had the reptile possessed a right hand
The penitent angler would gladly have wrung it!
He cast in his float filled with tearful emotion
And murmured "How fearful, how terrible this is!"
And just at that moment, amid some commotion,
He jerked out a panting and rather small piscis!
"Unfortunate fishlet, what dread impulse brought you
To meddle with bait which I carelessly threw in?
My dear little swimmer, I'm sorry I caught you,
So please don't blame me for contriving your ruin!"
"O barbel and salmon-trout, tench, dace and gugdeon,
O ev'ry fat jack and each eel (not a conger)
Why, why will you grieve me and stir up my dudgeon?
Go, die on his hooks who has eyes that are stronger!"
But, however, whilst moaning he pulled out a score,
And continued his wonderful luck till at last--it
Was plain that his soft heart could bear it no more,
Too deep were his groans, and--too full was his basket!
Norman Rowland Gale's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Most Anglers are Very Humane by Norman Rowland Gale )
- Women, Gbolagade Taiwo
- Desire, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- I Love You, Melika Gillard
- Firaq yar ko dagha..., Azhar Sabri
- Save Mother!, tolu ogundare
- சின்னச் சின்ன பையா வா!, Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- Infinite journey., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Feelings Unfelt, RUBAB ATWAL
- Dear person, hasmukh amathalal
- Only If People Understood Me, Mirai Scarlett
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- My Love Is Like To Ice, Edmund Spenser
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- My Teacher, My Hero, Geneen Alyssa Meyers
John Greenleaf Whittier
(17 December 1807 – 7 September 1892)
(17 July 1674 – 25 November 1748)
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
William Ernest Henley
(1849 - 1902)
(12 May 1812 – 29 January 1888)
Samuel Taylor Coleridge
(1552 - 13 January 1599)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)