Norman Rowland Gale
Most Anglers are Very Humane
The kind-hearted angler was sadly pursuing
His calling unhallowed of choking the fishes;
He bitterly wept, for of course he was doing
An action most strongly opposed to his wishes!
His vertabra shook as he musingly planned
How kindly to threadle the worm he'd begun--it
Was plain had the reptile possessed a right hand
The penitent angler would gladly have wrung it!
He cast in his float filled with tearful emotion
And murmured "How fearful, how terrible this is!"
And just at that moment, amid some commotion,
He jerked out a panting and rather small piscis!
"Unfortunate fishlet, what dread impulse brought you
To meddle with bait which I carelessly threw in?
My dear little swimmer, I'm sorry I caught you,
So please don't blame me for contriving your ruin!"
"O barbel and salmon-trout, tench, dace and gugdeon,
O ev'ry fat jack and each eel (not a conger)
Why, why will you grieve me and stir up my dudgeon?
Go, die on his hooks who has eyes that are stronger!"
But, however, whilst moaning he pulled out a score,
And continued his wonderful luck till at last--it
Was plain that his soft heart could bear it no more,
Too deep were his groans, and--too full was his basket!
Norman Rowland Gale's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Most Anglers are Very Humane by Norman Rowland Gale )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
James Russell Lowell
(22 February 1819 – 12 August 1891)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- This Soul's Interior Particles, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Soul's Interior Particles, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Total Encompassing Love, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Notes Of Sadness, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Living With Shadows, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Childhood Preparing Life, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Tempted, Electric Lady
- Sincerity, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Explanations In Verse, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Coinciding Thoughts, RoseAnn V. Shawiak