Mother, Among the Dustbins
Mother, among the dustbins and the manure
I feel the measure of my humanity, an allure
As of the presence of God, I am sure
In the dustbins, in the manure, in the cat at play,
Is the presence of God, in a sure way
He moves there. Mother, what do you say?
I too have felt the presence of God in the broom
I hold, in the cobwebs in the room,
But most of all in the silence of the tomb.
Ah! but that thought that informs the hope of our kind
Is but an empty thing, what lies behind? --
Naught but the vanity of a protesting mind
That would not die. This is the thought that bounces
Within a conceited head and trounces
Inquiry. Man is most frivolous when he pronounces.
Well Mother, I shall continue to think as I do,
And I think you would be wise to do so too,
Can you question the folly of man in the creation of God?
Who are you?
Stevie Smith's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Mother, Among the Dustbins by Stevie Smith )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
A Dream Within A Dream
Edgar Allan Poe
- We humans, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Poet Seer thrive, Emmanuel George Cefai
- In the meadows of the Night, Emmanuel George Cefai
- In the sadness of the night, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Not long, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Sitting Down On The Tracks While The Tra.., mary douglas
- Small verse, Emmanuel George Cefai
- The Usual rote Of sadness, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Non-playing Captain, dr.k.g.balakrishnan kandangath
- Iron, Emmanuel George Cefai