Apollon Nikolayevich Maykov
Mother And Child
'Mother, why weepest thou ever
For my little sister fair?
She is now in heaven's kingdom-
Ah, it must be wondrous there!'
'Yes, she is in heaven's glory,
But in heaven's own land, alas!
There are no butterflies nor flowers-
Nor meadows of velvet grass!'
'But mother, God's blessed angels
There, rejoicing sing to Him!'
Forth from the sunset's rosy fires
Now cometh the midnight dim.
Ah, the mother wants her baby-
That she watched from the window wide,
When 'mid butterflies and blossoms
She played in the meadow's pride!
Apollon Nikolayevich Maykov's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Mother And Child by Apollon Nikolayevich Maykov )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Death is Nothing at All, Henry Scott Holland
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
Poem of the Day
- Dreamt Of You 6, Michael P. McParland
- To Answer Your Question, Serena Blackinton
- ' H E I S...', sunshine garcia
- Love Note 11, Michael P. McParland
- Bicker and Swear, Donal Mahoney
- Put God First, Robert Barnett
- Te Amé Desde el Primer de los Días, Hebert Logerie
- Scales falling, Angell Afinowi
- About the Armadillo, Angell Afinowi
- Leprosy at the birthday Party, Angell Afinowi